Just a Drop is a global water charity with a local project focus. Set up in 1998 to date they have helped over 1 million children and their families in 29 countries worldwide.
Their aim is simple: Safe Water = Saved Lives.
Every 20 seconds a child dies because of unsafe water and Just a Drop’s long term aim is to reduce this child mortality rate that’s caused by unsafe water.
Just a Drop plan ongoing life-saving projects that fuel their long term aim to reduce child mortality caused by unsafe water.
Here’s just some of the reasons Just a Drop work so hard to provide vital clean water…
• A child dies around every 20 seconds as a result of water-borne diseases
• £1 is all it takes to provide a child with clean, safe water for 10 years
• Over 1.1 billion people in the world – roughly one eighth of its total population – do not have access to clean, safe water
• Around 2.5 billion people do not have access to adequate sanitation – almost two-fifths of the world’s population
• Over 2.75 million people die from diseases every year because of unsafe water
• 1.4 million children die each year from diarrhoea alone caused by unsafe water
• Children in poor environments often carry 1,000 parasitic worms in their bodies at a time
• Over 40 billion working hours are spent carrying water each year in Africa
• In parts of Africa women and Asia women often carry water weighing as much as 20kgs (the same as the average UK airport luggage allowance) on their heads
(Source: World Health Organisation, UNICEF, Cosgrove & Rijserman)
Why We Choose Just A Drop
Choosing a charity to support is a difficult choice as there are so many worth causes out there. For us, Just a Drop seemed like the natural fit with our own business philosophy and existing local causes. Here’s why…
Hello Scotland offer our support to local charities and causes, the most recent being for the British Waterways Trust. We pledged our support for Scotland Canals and to raise awareness of WTM World Responsible Tourism Day.
So with our local support on our minds, and that 2011 is Hello Scotland’s 15th year in business – with the 15 year anniversary gift being crystal – it was natural for us to focus on water. Crystal clear water to be exact!
At Hello Scotland we’re passionate about our local environment in Scotland – endeavoring to offer our clients a true local experience, through meeting local people, eat local food and learning about local heritage. Scots are inherently proud of our local culture and all that is associated with it.
Just a Drop look at the local picture at each of their project locations to see how they can maximize their impact at ground level. This means they must understand the local community and work with local charities, partners and the communities themselves to get the best solution.
This local focus is close to our hearts here at Hello Scotland. We’re passionate about our local environment in Scotland, both in making it a local and cultural experience for our clients, and in taking a pro-active role in responsible tourism within Scotland through Going Green with Hello, our support for Scotland’s Canals and WTM World Responsible Tourism Day.
How we’re going to support Just a Drop
Very soon, we’ll be announcing a very special ‘Canal Challenge’ that will raise money for Just A Drop’s most essential projects.
As soon as we’ve finalized the details, you’ll hear about it here!